Tuesday 15 December 2015

The Best of the Best Books I Read This Year

If I'm absolutely honest, 2015 has been a slow reading year for me. I seem to be constantly tired, too tired to stay up until 2am finishing a book like I used to. BUT this means I'm just more selective about what I read, and I have read some insanely good books this year. This is a weekly meme run by The Broke and The Bookish, and since I missed last week, I've decided to combine them to make 'the best books I've read this year written by authors who are new to me'.

(I had to do this because my list before was getting way too long, and decision making is not my strong point so cutting it down was proving to be a difficult task).

As usual, these are in no particular order, since that causes far too much stress on my end because I think they're all perfect. Links to the Goodreads page in the title.

MORE THAN THIS by Patrick Ness
I can't even put into words how good this book is. It is mind-blowingly good and just talking about it now is making me want to read it all over again.. It kept me on my toes right until the very end and I LOVED every second of it.

HALF WILD by Sally Green 
This is the second book in the series (the first is Half Bad, I talked about them on my favourite series post here), and I read them both one after the other but the second book is soooo good. You get to see more of the magical world the story is set in, and the whole thing is much more action packed and suspenseful than the first (if that's even possible). And I love the new little romance developing, I think it's a really original one.



This is an absolutely beautiful story of a beautiful romance which grows between two boys. You seem them grow up through their teen years and how their friendship changes, with this brilliantly truthful writing style, and what I really love about it is how the characters just being gay is really not the main storyline. I felt a little like screaming at one of the characters at points though, which would not have been great as I was in the middle of a 4hr train journey.

EXTRAORDINARY MEANS by Robyn Schneider
Lovely little contemporary novel about friendship and love and death - this was really cute, if a little sad in parts, but a very enjoyable read.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Paula Hawkins
This is described as a gripping thriller, and I 100% agree with that assessment. It turned out so much more dark and twisted than I expected, and every time a piece of the story was revealed it just became that much more impossible to stop reading.


A GATHERING LIGHT by Jennifer Donnelly 
To be honest, this book took me a while to get into, but God it's so deep and thoughtful and I can't help but really feel for all the characters involved. This is one of those storylines that stuck in my head for the next month after reading.


WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart
This started my love for E. Lockhart, it's so prettily written and some of the metaphors in it are amazing. I cannot fully voice how much I loved this story, from the beginning to the very shocking end, and you should definitely read it.


CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller
This book is so insanely satirical that the whole time I was reading it I felt like most of it was going right over my head, but I loved it. I can't believe I've never considered reading it before because it's one of those 'books you should read before you die', but I'm so glad I did. It's incredibly clever and stupidly hilarious, and Yossarian may be the best main character ever written.


DANGEROUS GIRLS by Abigail Haas
SIMON VS THE HOMOSAPIENS AGENDA by Becky Albertalli
These two get a quick special mention down at the bottom - because I loved them both so much, I have already written reviews for them which you can read by clicking the titles if you want. Otherwise, I definitely 100% recommend these two (I actually bought Dangerous Girls for a friend because I so desperately needed someone to discuss it with, and she loved it too).

Hope you read some good books too this year, please share them below and let me know if you have enjoyed any of these!

No comments :

Post a Comment