Sunday 13 December 2015

Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

This was such a freaking cute book, I legit could not stop smiling the entire way through. My jaw actually ached by the end of it, but it put me in such a good mood for the rest of the day.

I'm tired of coming out. All I ever do is come out. I try not to change, but I keep changing, in all these tiny ways ... And every freaking time, I have to reintroduce myself to the universe all over again.


Simon Spier is sixteen and secretly gay. But when one of his classmates discovers his emails to Blue - the incredibly distracting, thought-consuming, mysterious Blue - it might not be a secret much longer. For Simon, who prefers a drama free life with as little change as possible, things suddenly become far too complicated. Especially as his emails to Blue get more flirtatious every day.

Maybe it's a holy freaking huge awesome deal. Maybe I want it to be.


I LOVE Simon. For me, he's a brilliant example of a teenager: terrified of change, never quite feeling comfortable in himself, trying to appear cynical but secretly loving the idea of fairytales and romance and happy endings. His narrative is written sort of how I know a lot of young people speak, without it seeming overly childish or poorly written, which is refreshing - it made me feel more like I was having an actual conversation with him. He was loveable even when he was making massive mistakes and just generally being an idiot about things, as teenagers do.

And thenAlbertalli has to go and make him a massive Harry Potter fan who references things like Dementors throughout the novel, and I'm completely done.

One of the other things I really liked about this book was the inclusion of the emails sent between Blue and Simon at the end of each chapter. Aside from being absolutely adorable, they broke up the story and gave this whole insight to the two characters, which I really liked (even though it was really obvious to me who Blue was).

This was an incredibly sweet story - if you're looking for anything more deep or dramatic then I wouldn't recommend this, because it was pretty much just a cute romance (a bit like a book version of a rom-com). However, it is the perfect thing to brighten up your day a little, and if you're anything like me you will become massively invested in a fictional relationship. So have fun with that :)

Please leave a comment if you've read/enjoyed this book previously and let me know what you thought!



No comments :

Post a Comment